Ok, so technically there should be a separate post for each week but literally nothing happened week one. Unless you count me cleaning out all of the crap that was sitting on top of the washer and dryer. In case you missed it, you can see the full plans for the laundry room in my previous post , fancy schmancy mood board and all.
The room looks slightly different now as I have made some decent progress after a very trying day. I managed to get the countertop installed though, take a look:
It took me all day to install the countertop. I waffled back and forth between simple plywood counters and actual butcher block but the budget won out in the end and I just purchased a single sheet of birch plywood. It’s nicer than the stuff I normally use and should stain really well. I was originally going to do a dark , walnut stain but I’m not so sure now. I kind of like the lightness of it. I’ll hold off on my decision until I get the room painted and let that direct me.
The countertop is held up pretty simply. Just some wood cleats screwed into the studs in the wall and then the counter is screwed into the top. I would use brackets underneath into the cleats if you don’t want to screw into the surface. I plan on covering my screws with a shelf to hide the hookups in the back and on the side I added a small piece of trim to cover.
The most difficult part was the floating side panel since I have a sink to the left of the washer and dryer. I couldn’t just do it like I did my shelves and attach all three sides to a wall. So instead, the panel is held up by three heavy brackets, screwed into drywall anchors. I couldn’t hit a stud there and didn’t want to mess around too much with it since there is a lot happening behind that wall.
I made cutouts along the back of the plywood to accommodate the hookups and cords which will be hidden by my little shelf I’m making.
Oh wait, I almost forgot..if you follow me on Instagram you know that I scored an amazing deal on a 30″ sink cabinet from Lowe’s. It had some damage to the bottom and the associate didn’t want to get the better one from the top shelf so he made me an offer I couldn’t refuse: 50% off! I just used my nail gun to tighten the piece on the bottom that was hanging off and added some wood glue to shore it up.
As reminder, here is my full to do:
- DIY countertop – I want the counter to go straight across with no step down where the sink is
- Window Trim
- Closet Shelving – I will most likely do them the same as my appliance closet
- New utility sink
- Window Treatment (blinds)
- Pole to line dry clothes
- Wall treatment
- Storage for laundry baskets
- New lighting
- Clean and seal tile
I’ve done some of these partially but none enough to fully cross of the list lol. These are the slow parts honestly. I’m sure it will pick up once I have the counters installed….maybe!
Don’t forget to check out all of the other amazing rooms being transformed! Find them here. There are so many people from all over participating in the One Room Challenge. It’s fun to follow along with all the creators!